Monday, May 16, 2011

Yes, I would like to talk (and think) like a chess book

You may think me silly but ........ Yes, I would like to talk (and think) like a chess book and specifically Jacob AAgaard Attacking Manual 1 and 2 .

I like how Jacob annotates a game. I figure the ability to better describe and think about chess positions and how to play goes hand in hand with getting better. ( that's my theory anyway). Less Fuzziness : More Precision. Chess annotation is an interesting form of literature and is fun when it's done right.

This space is a little clipboard for things I read. It's unlikely to have much meaning to anyone other than myself and may appear somewhat trite . In order for you to get something out of this, I'll direct you instead to the books themselves.

For my own benefit, I've divided things in chess snippets but them under general subheadings. (note I adding stuff I hear , read, absorb from a number of sources here but for now mainly AAgaard)

Rules

Rules are standard replies that can be used in most situations. Generalizations are the best way to build an awareness to reoccurring themes in chess.... to build intuition.
His principles are global principles not because they appear in all positions but because they appear in all kinds of positions.

The Difficulty of Chess

It's JA impression that reading and nodding gives a false impression as to how hard chess really is.

Training

Work and thinking about positions in a chessbook is much more fruitful than the reading and nodding approach. (Daniel King)
Regarding the chess positions in his book. They are hard, Effort needs to be put in before new abilities can be taken out.


Evaluation of a position

Blacks position is pleasant
control over the center
completed his development
solid lead in development

Activity/Development and lack of it

The most energetic response.
allows black to build up an attacking position.
completed his development
neglected his development
black is getting his pieces to more and more attractive squares
the sacrifice has a drawback of not being supported by all the black's pieces.

Materialism


take the pawn and hope for positional rewards later on.
unfortunately it costs a lot of time

Soundness ?!

Black decides to go for an idea that is more interesting than correct.

Plan

His argument goes like this:

Prevention/Prophalaxis

gives away the rook in exchange for disturbing the development.


Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment